The Best Gas Station Food In South Dakota and Iowa
Gas stations have come a long way over the years.
The old service stations that consisted of nothing more than a couple of pumps, a service bay, a vending machine, and a bathroom so terrifying you seriously thought about just holding it in, have been transformed into the modern marvel of the convenience store with lots of amenities and some pretty impressive food choices.
With that in mind, USA Today put together a list of the best gas station food in America. These are the things that go well above and beyond the 'weenie wheels' of years gone by. In fact, one of the delicacies on the list can be found all over South Dakota.
The Best Gas Station Food
The Iowa-based company has stores all over the midwest, including several in Sioux Falls and South Dakota.
There are three basic flavors - bacon, sausage, and veggie, with all kinds of different ways to customize your pie.
You can add exotic touches like green peppers, olives, or even jalapenos, and for something even more unusual, swap out the default cheese sauce for sausage gravy!
So what else made the list? Here's a rundown so you can plan ahead for your next road trip:
- Boiled peanuts at Sunrise Grocery - Blairsville, Georgia
- Po' boys at Danny & Clyde’s Food Store - Metairie, Louisiana
- Chicken chimichanga at Allsup’s - Taos, New Mexico
- Whoopie pies at Gott’s Store - Southwest Harbor, Maine
- Kolaches at Slovacek's - West, Texas
- Spam musubi at Aloha Island Mart - Honolulu, Hawaii
- Fish tacos at Mercado & Taqueria de Amigos - Pescadero, California
- Pepperoni rolls at Mid Atlantic Market - Morgantown, West Virginia
- Fried chicken at King Chicken Fillin’ Station - Belden, Mississippi
TRENDING FROM RESULTS-TOWNSQUARE MEDIA:
- Gross: Welcome To the Ugliest Town in Minnesota
- WHAT? Is This Really 'The Worst Place To Live' In South Dakota?
- People Want These 14 Restaurants Back In Sioux Falls
- More of the Best Birthday Freebies You Can Get In Sioux Falls
South Dakota Foods You Must Try
7 Sucky Foods We Eat In South Dakota