Top Burger Chains with South Dakota, Iowa, and Minnesota Locations
In the Tri-State Area (South Dakota, Iowa, Minnesota) we have a great selection of some of the best burgers around from amazing local purveyors, but how much access do we have to some of the best burgers from the national chains?
Not as much as you might think.
Eat This, Not That has ranked the 16 Best Burger Chains in America, and while we have plenty of locations to choose from when it comes to the big hitters (McDonald's, Burger King, Wendy's), we're missing out on a lot of other offerings.
In fact, of the 16 top-rated chains, only eight have restaurants in one or more of our local states. Up until recently, we did have access to a Fuddruckers location in Sioux Falls, but that closed in November of 2022.
- Culvers: South Dakota (14), Iowa (60), Minnesota (36)
- In-N-Out Burger: NONE (Closest: Colorado Springs, CO)
- Shake Shack: Minnesota (5)
- Smashburger: Iowa (1), Minnesota (7)
- McDonald's: South Dakota (30), Iowa (145), Minnesota (226)
- Five Guys: South Dakota (3), Iowa (7), Minnesota (23)
- Fuddruckers: NONE (Closest: Branson, MO)
- Burger King: South Dakota (27), Iowa (82), Minnesota (118)
- Steak 'n Shake: Iowa (4)
- Whataburger: NONE (Closest: Kansas City, MO)
- Mooyah: NONE (Closest: Maryville, MO)
- Umami Burger: NONE (Closest: Austin, TX)
- Wendy's: South Dakota (7), Iowa (40), Minnesota (54)
- BurgerFi: NONE (Closest: Leawood, KS)
- Cook Out: NONE (Closest: Martin, TN)
- Fatburger: NONE (Closest: Wichita, KS)
Which are your favorites on this list?
Have you tried any of the eight outside the Tri-State Area?