South Dakota AD David Herbster Announces Resignation
All good things must come to an end. Longtime USD Athletic Director David Herbster announced his resignation from his position on Monday, ending a very successful 10-year stint in the position.
Herbster had been the AD in Vermillion since 2013.
Per the release from USD Athletics:
University of South Dakota Athletic Director David Herbster announced his resignation Aug. 14 to pursue a new career opportunity on the community relations team for Sanford Health’s southern market in Sioux Falls. His last day at USD will be Aug. 30.
Herbster is the second area Athletic Director to step down in recent weeks, joining University of Sioux Falls AD Pam Gohl.
You can find a full release and a list of the tremendous changes and accomplishments that occurred under Herbster's leadership at GoYotes.com.
They often say, 'leave it better than you found it,' and in this case, Herbster is departing his role having set up the USD Athletic Department for success on and off the playing field for years to come.
Know Your South Dakota College and University Mascots
- What does it take to be a mascot?
- "Losing a bet or filling an opportunity!" Welch says, "An internal energized desire to love life. After meeting great performers who are introverts out of costume, they become the center of attention when they take the stage. And also feeding off the performance of others."
- Why does the mascot never talk?
- "Know your role and shut your mouth. You are there to entertain. Tell the story with your actions and not your voice."
- Advice to someone putting on that costume for the first time?
- "Remember you are now in a costume. Have fun. Otherwise, you're just a dork in tights. If the fur ain't flying you ain't trying."