Iowa, South Dakota Hospitals among the Most Unsafe in America
Hospitals in Iowa and South Dakota did not make the grade when it comes to being among the safest in America.
The new rankings from the Leapfrog Hospital Safety Grade show that hospitals in the Hawkeye State and Mount Rushmore State are among the ten unsafest in the country.
Iowa hospitals are third on the list, South Dakota hospitals are sixth.
STATES WITH THE UNSAFEST HOSPITALS
- North Dakota
- West Virginia
- South Dakota
- New Mexico
The report card grades hospitals on 30 different performance measures from the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services like the rates of preventable medical errors, accidents, injuries, and infections.
In Iowa, only one hospital (3.1% of all hospitals in the state) received an 'A', while four others graded out at a 'B'.
IOWA HOSPITAL GRADES
- Lakes Regional Healthcare, Spirit Lake - A
- Genesis Medical Center, Davenport - B
- MercyOne Medical Center (North Campus), Clinton - B
- Spencer Hospital, Spencer - B
- St. Anthony Regional Hospital - Carroll - B
In South Dakota, only one hospital (10% of all hospitals in the state) received an 'A', while four others graded out at a 'B'.
SOUTH DAKOTA HOSPITAL GRADES
- Sanford USD Medical Center, Sioux Falls - A
- Avera McKennan Hospital and University Health Center, Sioux Falls - B
- Avera Sacred Heart Hospital, Yankton - B
- Avera St. Luke's Hospital, Aberdeen - B
- Monument Health Hospital, Spearfish - B
STATES WITH THE SAFEST HOSPITALS
- New Hampshire
- New Jersey
- North Carolina
Minnesota hospitals were the 18th safest in America.
14 hospitals (32.6% of all hospitals in the state) received an 'A', while another eight graded out at a 'B'.
MINNESOTA HOSPITAL GRADES
- Abbott Northwestern Hospital, Minneapolis - A
- Buffalo Hospital, Buffalo - A
- Hutchinson Health Hospital, Hutchinson - A
- Lake Region Healthcare, Fergus Falls - A
- Lakeview Hospital, Stillwater - A
- M Health Fairview Southdale Hospital, Edina - A
- Mayo Clinic Health System, Austin - A
- Mayo Clinic Health System, Fairmont - A
- Mayo Clinic Health System, Mankato - A
- Mayo Clinic Health System, Red Wing - A
- Mayo Clinic Hospital, Rochester - A
- Methodist Hospital, St. Louis Park - A
- Olmsted Medical Center, Rochester - A
- Owatonna Hospital, Owatonna - A
- M Health Fairview Northland Medical Center, Princeton - B
- M Health Fairview Ridges Hospital, Burnsville - B
- M Health Fairview St. John's Hospital, Maplewood - B
- M Health Fairview St. Joseph's Hospital, St. Paul - B
- M Health Fairview Woodwinds Hospital, Woodbury - B
- Northfield Hospital, Northfield - B
- Regions Hospital, St. Paul - B
- Sanford Medical Center, Bemidji - B
Across the country, only 30% of hospitals received an "A', 28% a 'B, 36% received a 'C', 6% a 'D', and 1% received an 'F'.