Iowa Man Crashes Semi-truck Into Train Near Sioux Center
An Iowa truck driver avoided serious injuries after the semi he was driving struck a mile-long train.
According to the Sioux County Sheriff, 59-year-old Harvard Sandbulte was eastbound hauling a flatbed trailer loaded with hay bales on 360th Street northwest of Sioux Center when he collided with a northbound BNSF train. The train had two locomotives on the front and one in the rear and had 103-grain cars in between.
Get our free mobile app
Sandbulte went to Sioux Center Health by ambulance for treatment of minor injures. He was cited for failing to stop at a railroad crossing.
Damage to the truck was estimated at $40,000 and the damage to the train was estimated at $100,000.
Sioux County Iowa Semi-Truck Train Crash
Know Your South Dakota College and University Mascots
The college football experience is an ultimate high for football fans and it takes several other teams to make that happen week after week during the season.
Just think about what goes into gameday? First and foremost, the players and coaching staff who put in hours and hours of practice and training to play in front of their fans. Then there's field prep, game officials, live broadcasts, concessions, and on-the-field entertainment. Yep, entertainment.
Second to the game, who do you watch? The cheerleaders? The band at halftime? What about the mascot? That's a job not many people can do.
I asked Sioux Falls native and former Cagey mascot for the Sioux Falls Canaries and Little Red & Herbie for the Nebraska Huskers Nate Welch about being a mascot:
- What does it take to be a mascot?
- "Losing a bet or filling an opportunity!" Welch says, "An internal energized desire to love life. After meeting great performers who are introverts out of costume, they become the center of attention when they take the stage. And also feeding off the performance of others."
- Why does the mascot never talk?
- "Know your role and shut your mouth. You are there to entertain. Tell the story with your actions and not your voice."
- Advice to someone putting on that costume for the first time?
- "Remember you are now in a costume. Have fun. Otherwise, you're just a dork in tights. If the fur ain't flying you ain't trying."
Nate Welch has moved on from his days as a mascot to Executive Director of the Vermillion Area Chamber of Commerce and Development Company in Vermillion, South Dakota.
So, can you name the mascots at our South Dakota Colleges and Universities? Check out the gallery below:
The 6 Types of South Dakota Drivers You Deal With Every Winter
Every year it snows in Sioux Falls. We may live in denial during the spring and summer, but it happens.
When the snow falls on the Falls, life in the city does not stop. We all still have to go to work, school, and the liquor store...um I mean go get snacks.
When you tackle the snowy routes around town you tend to run across six types of drivers in the snow.