A Few Pretty Cool Labor Day Facts. Cliff Clavin Would Be Proud.
This Labor Day weekend, when you're ready to throw the brats on the grill, you'll want to look cool and spout off a few really cool Labor Day facts. You know...for the Cliff Clavin in you.
- 1882 was the first year Labor Day was celebrated with a parade in New York City.
- 1894 was when Congress officially declared the first Monday in September a federal holiday.
- Labor Day is ranked as the third favorite holiday among Americans, with Christmas being first and Memorial Day second. What? Where's Thanksgiving?
- 25% of Americans will leave town over the Labor Day weekend - 86% will travel by car, 7% by plane.
- The most popular Labor Day destinations are New York City, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Orlando, and Chicago.
- There will be an estimated 47,000 car crashes over the long holiday weekend, 420 of which will result in a fatality. Don't be one of them. Put the phone down.
- 89 running races will be held across the country Labor Day weekend.
- 40.6% of Americans plan to stay home and barbecue over the long weekend.
- From Memorial Day to Labor Day, 818 hot dogs are eaten every second of every day.
To read more interesting stats regarding this year's Labor Day holiday, go to the WalletHub website.