The 4-Day Labor Day Weekend Forecast Looks Sunny and Hot
The Labor Day Weekend is almost here signaling the unofficial end of summer. Time to get that last camping, fishing, and road trip scheduled. Whatever you're planning, this weekend is looking pretty good - if you can find some shade.
The National Weather Service (NWS) in Sioux Falls has an extended look at what we can expect this weekend.
Friday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 92.
Friday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 65.
Saturday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 93.
Saturday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 66.
Sunday: Sunny and hot, with a high near 95.
These temperature projections from the NWS are a little cooler than WeatherBug which forecasts highs closer to 100 degrees (F) both Sunday and Monday for Sioux Falls.
Looks like we won't be putting the sunblock and the misting bottles away quite yet.
While we're finding ways to stay cool this weekend, here are some Labor Day fun facts:
- 1882 was the first year Labor Day was celebrated with a parade in New York City.
- 1894 was when Congress officially declared the first Monday in September a federal holiday.
- Labor Day is ranked as the third favorite holiday among Americans, with Christmas being first and Memorial Day second.
- 25% of Americans will leave town over the Labor Day weekend - 86% will travel by car, 7% by plane.
- The most popular Labor Day destinations are New York City, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Orlando and Chicago.
- There will be an estimated 47,000 car crashes over the long holiday weekend, 420 of which will result in a fatality.
- 89 running races will be held across the country Labor Day weekend.
- 40.6% of Americans plan to stay home and barbecue over the long weekend.
- From Memorial Day to Labor Day, 818 hot dogs are eaten every second of every day.