These Iowa Cities Are Among the Worst in America for Bed Bugs
Your bedroom is supposed to be the one place where you can escape from all of the stresses that everyday life brings.
But if you're dealing with bed bugs, there is no peace in your bedroom.
So which places in America deal with bed bugs most often?
For the third year in a row, Chicago is the most bed bug-infested city in America.
WORST U.S. CITIES FOR BED BUGS
- New York City
- Cleveland-Akron, Ohio
- Los Angeles
- Washington, D.C.
- Columbus, Ohio
A pair of Iowa cities landed in the Top 50.
Cedar Rapids is up one spot to 31st this year, while Davenport falls a couple of places to 37th.
Other area cities that made the list include Omaha (32nd) and Lincoln (50th) in Nebraska.
Orkin recommends inspecting your home for signs of bed bugs regularly by checking mattress tags and seams, behind baseboards, headboards, electrical outlets, and picture frames.
They also advise following S.L.E.E.P. method to inspect for bed bugs while traveling:
- Survey the hotel room for signs of an infestation. Be on the lookout for tiny, ink-colored stains on mattress seams, in soft furniture, and behind headboards.
- Lift and look in bed bug hiding spots: the mattress, box spring, and other furniture, as well as behind baseboards, pictures, and even torn wallpaper.
- Elevate luggage away from the bed and wall. The safest places are in the bathroom or on counters.
- Examine your luggage carefully while repacking and once you return home from a trip. Always store luggage away from the bed.
- Place all dryer-safe clothing from your luggage in the dryer for at least 30-45 minutes at the highest setting after you return home.