You Can Help Name Sioux Falls’ Newest School
Sioux Falls' 26th elementary school is scheduled to open next year and you have a chance to help shape the legacy of the new facility.
But you better hurry.
The Sioux Falls School District is now accepting suggestions for the name of the new school, which will open in time for the 2025-26 school year.
The school will be located in northwest Sioux Falls, adjacent to George McGovern Middle School, in the area of West Maple Street.
Suggestions for the school name should fall into one of these five categories:
• Presidents of the United States
• Persons who have achieved distinction in such fields as art, literature, music, education, or science
• Individuals who have made a significant contribution to society
• Location of the school, its street, or direction
• Famous event or location
The deadline for suggestions is Monday, January 22.
A committee consisting of parents, teachers, administrators, a School Board member, community members, and students will be appointed by the Superintendent and will consider all names that are submitted based on the parameters of School Board Policy FF - Naming Facilities.
That committee will make a final recommendation at a regular Sioux Falls School Board meeting later this year.
11 Famous People from South Dakota
Gallery Credit: Danny V
SEE: Sioux Falls New Jefferson High School
Know Your South Dakota College and University Mascots
- What does it take to be a mascot?
- "Losing a bet or filling an opportunity!" Welch says, "An internal energized desire to love life. After meeting great performers who are introverts out of costume, they become the center of attention when they take the stage. And also feeding off the performance of others."
- Why does the mascot never talk?
- "Know your role and shut your mouth. You are there to entertain. Tell the story with your actions and not your voice."
- Advice to someone putting on that costume for the first time?
- "Remember you are now in a costume. Have fun. Otherwise, you're just a dork in tights. If the fur ain't flying you ain't trying."
Gallery Credit: Dave Roberts