Warning: Never Plug This Into Power Strip
Thanks to new arctic air, we're beginning to see frigid temperatures that may call for additional heating throughout the house. Furnaces and fireplaces are great but many turn to alternatives heating devices to help warm the home.
Electric heaters are great when they are working properly. Here's one that I haven't considered until a fire department spokesperson warned about it: Never plug an electric heater into a power strip.
According to Umatilla County Fire District #1 in Hermiston, Oregon, "You should never plug a heater into a power strip. These units are not designed to handle the high current flow needed for a space heater and can overheat or even catch fire due to the added energy flow.” ~ Facebook
It makes total sense. Space heaters can reach temps as high as 600 degree F. so safety and proper use is paramount in keeping your home and family safe. Plug your space heater directly into the wall outlet and use the power strip for other devices.
The Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) reports that portable electric space heaters cause 1,200 fires a year.
Too hot to the touch, a burning smell, constant tripping of the fuse box breaker, and a hot electrical cord are all warning signs that should not be ignored.
Stay toasty and warm during this chilly season. Old Man Winter is not finished with us yet.
5 Words That'll Help You Sound Like a South Dakotan
Gallery Credit: Andy Gott
10 Wild South Dakota Snowstorms
Gallery Credit: KXRB