You And Your Dog Can Now Share A Meal
Dog owners are typically not supposed to give their furry friends any "human food." But sometimes table scraps fall on the food or those begging puppy eyes actually work.
This may surprise some people, but not all table food is bad for your dog. Some food can actually be benefitting your dog's health. Score one for the dogs!
An article from Medical News Today lists all the foods that are considered "safe and nutritious" for your pets. I didn't even know I could feed my dog some food items that are listed!
- White Rice
- Dairy Products (This was very surprising to me. This includes cheese, milk, and plain yogurt. However, dogs who are considered lactose intolerant should avoid dairy products. It could make them sick.)
- Peanut Butter
- Plain Popcorn (Really? I thought maybe dogs could somehow choke on the small kernels. Apparently, "popcorn contains minerals such as magnesium, phosphorus, and zinc, which are all important for keeping dogs healthy," states Medical News Today. This is why I'm not the veterinarian in the family!)
- Green Beans
- Watermelon (This delicious snack keeps your dogs hydrated and contains Vitamin A, C, and B-6. Yum! It's good to know that your dog can enjoy this summertime treat!)
Before you start giving your dog a full course meal, there are foods that can be very dangerous to feed your pet. Should a dog consume a portion of "toxic" food, it is recommended that pet owners call a veterinarian. Here are the food items to be on the lookout for:
- Raisins and Grapes
- Citrus Foods
- Coconut products
- Ice Cream (SHOCKING!! Ice Cream contains too much sugar for dogs and again very dangerous for a dog that is lactose intolerant.)
- Onions (This includes garlic and chives.)
- Raw/Uncooked Meat
- Raw Eggs
- Salty Foods
- Bread Dough
As a special treat, what "human food" do you like to feed your dog?