How To Prepare For A Marathon Days Before The Race
The Sioux Falls Marathon takes place in a matter of days. Runners can participate in the Sanford Children's Miracle Network 5k, 10k, the half marathon, and the full marathon. Running 26 miles is not an easy task. It takes a toll on someone's body, but there are ways to prepare for the big race.
Some runners train their whole life for this moment. If this is someone's first marathon, here are some tips to help you conquer the race even the week prior to start time.
Minneapolis Running lists ten ways to help you prepare for a marathon. They are:
1. Relax-This week is all about relaxing. You should run short distances to stay loose.
2. Sleep-This helps a runner have a great mental state. Running a marathon takes a lot of endurance and you need the proper rest to prepare for that.
3. Eat Smart-You should not be eating as much food as you were during training. It's best to avoid high fiber foods and anything fried.
4. Carry a Water Bottle-Stay hydrated!
5. Get off Your Feet-Keep your normal routine, but sit down whenever you can. Put your feet up for as long as you can.
6. Study The Course-Sioux Falls is fortunate to have miles of wonderful bike paths.The marathon route includes some parks like Yankton Trail Park and Sertoma Park. If you have the chance, walk some of the course.
7. Plan Race Strategy-Think about what pace you intend to keep during the race and listen to what your body is telling you.
8. Plan Race Day-Come up with a plan to figure out what you're doing before the race, such as what should be in your race bag or how you're getting to the competition.
9. Try Nothing New-Stick to your normal race workouts. Now is not the time to change your diet, shoes, or even your shirt.
10. Reflect- Be proud of yourself. You have trained long and hard for the race. It's your moment to shine!
The Sioux Falls Marathon starts at 6:30 AM on Sunday, September 8th.
Source: Minneapolis Running