Independence Day 2016 lands on a Monday this year giving us a proper three-day weekend that is full of great activities in and around Sioux Falls. Here’s a handy list of great things you can do and places to go to celebrate our great country and enjoy South Dakota.
- Enjoy live outdoor music featuring local musicians at Rhythm on the River. 7pm at the amphitheater on the Downtown Riverfront between 6th and 8th Street in Sioux Falls.
- First Friday In Downtown Sioux Falls is a special day of shopping, art and entertainment in downtown Sioux Falls. Visit a variety of retailers, artist venues and restaurants.
- Old-Time 4th of July at Palisades State Park in Garretson. There will be apple pie iron pies, crafts, games, and even hand cranked ice cream. The park amphitheater will be decorated for the occasion. Fun for the whole family!
- Happy Birthday America Bike Parade at the Lewis and Clark Recreation Area near Yankton. Decorate your bike on your own or join folks at the amphitheater at 10:00 AM bike decorating before the parade.
- Extreme Amazing Race at Newton Hills State Park near Canton. Put on your running shoes for this extreme race around all of Newton Hills. There will be several stations where you must complete obstacles as a team before moving on. Prizes and trophies will be awarded to 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place. All participants will receive prizes. Please wear appropriate clothing and bring your own water for this 2-mile foot race. All ages are welcome.
- Sounds at the Falls from 7:00 to 9:00 PM at Queen Bee Mill at Falls Park. Enjoy an evening at Falls Park with music from Elisabeth Hunstad.
- Springfield’s Bull-O-Rama and Street Dance at the Springfield Rodeo Arena in Springfield, SD.
- Lennox 4th Of July Celebration; Saturday night’s events include a cruise night and a street dance with Judd Hoos.
- Tornado Days / Toilet Bowl Races in Centervill, SD
- Soak Your Park Manager at Newton Hills State Park near Canton. Where you get an opportunity to play a game that lets you douse the park managers with water.
- Sioux Falls municipal band concert at 8:00 PM at the Terrace Park Bandshell in Sioux Falls. This week’s theme is “Sousa’s Best.”
- Lennox 4th Of July Celebration: Sunday is the worship service with catered meal and the water fight at 1:30 PM
- Freeman Independence Day Celebration in Freeman, SD. A full day of ballgames, food and special attractions for kids at the Freeman Softball and Baseball Complex. The Freeman Black Sox host Tabor followed by a fireworks display sponsored by CorTrust.
- Mayor Huether’s 4th Of July Parade And Picnic. The day starts with a fun run/walk at 8:00 AM, parade at 10:00 AM, free lunch for the first 5,000 people at 11:00 AM, and a whole lot more.
Sioux Falls Jaycees Fourth of July. Fireworks at dusk from the W.H. Lyon Fairgrounds in Sioux Falls.
- Lennox 4th Of July Celebration: Monday starts off with a pancake feed, the firecracker road race at 8am, parade at 10:30am, kiddy tractor pull, live music and arts in the park and more.
- Uncle Sam’s Bike Parade at the Big Sioux Recreation Area near Brandon. Find out who has the best decorated 4th of July bike. Bring your bike down to the amphitheater inside Big Sioux Recreation Area for our annual bike parade. The best decorated bike will win a prize!
- Sioux Falls Canaries host the Kansas City T-bones at the Birdcage. 7:05 PM game time.
- Uncle Sam Jam 4th of July Celebration. Free event at the Swiftel Center in Brookings. Includes balloon twisting, pony rides, sand box, crafts for kids and inflatable games. Stick around for late night music and the big fireworks finale.
- Fireworks Over Lake Mitchell
Subscribe to KYBB-FM / B102.7 on