Rock Report: AC/DC Tops List Of Guitar Riffs Of The 80’s
AC/DC leads the list of acts whose guitarwork made Gibson.com's survey of the most awesome guitar riffs of the 1980s. The song "Back In Black" landed at Number One, followed up by offerings from the Rolling Stones, Ozzy Osbourne, Scorpions, Def Leppard, Judas Priest and more.
Gibson.com wrote about "Back In Black," "Perhaps the greatest riff-oriented album of all time is the band's 1980 farewell to dearly departed singer Bon Scott. Brothers Angus and Malcolm Young cooked up some of the greatest riffs of their career on this magnum opus . . . but none is more memorable than the hard and heavy title track."
The complete list of Gibson's top 10 riffs of the 1980s was:
1. AC/DC - "Back In Black" (Back In Black)
2. The Rolling Stones - "Start Me Up" (Tattoo You)
3. Ozzy Osbourne - "Crazy Train" (Blizzard Of Ozz)
4. Scorpions - "Rock You Like A Hurricane" (Love At First Sting)
5. Def Leppard - "Photograph" (Pyromania)
6. Judas Priest - "Breaking The Law" (British Steel)
7. Michael Jackson - "Beat It"
8. The Clash - "Should I Stay or Should I Go" (Combat Rock)
9. Guns N' Roses - "Sweet Child O'Mine" (Appetite For Destruction)
10. Rush - "Limelight" (Moving Pictures)