Queen, Kinks, David Bowie Covered on New Melvins Album
The 13-track project, due April 30 on Ipecac Records, is comprised entirely of songs written by other artists, with band favorites from the Jam, Venom, the Fugs and Roxy Music also getting the Melvins treatment.
As singer and guitarist Buzz Osborne explains, “This record will give people a peak into the kind of things that influence us musically. We REALLY like all of these songs along with the bands who actually wrote this stuff because first and foremost we are HUGE music fans.”
Indeed, the Melvins have covered classic rock artists many times in their 30 year career, including songs from Pink Floyd, Alice Cooper, Kiss, the Ramones and many more. The group even released a series of solo albums in 1992 with cover art designed to match Kiss’ 1978 solo efforts.
Most recently, the band included their version of Paul McCartney’s ‘Let Me Roll It’ on their 2012 album ‘Freak Puke,’ which showcased their new, alternate three-piece “Melvins Lite” lineup. This trio appears on three ‘Everybody Loves Sausages’ tracks, with the rest of the album featuring the group’s four-piece (two drummer) configuration.
Hear Melvins Perform ‘Interstellar Overdrive’ by Pink Floyd
Subscribe to KYBB-FM / B102.7 on
Melvins, ‘Everybody Loves Sausages’ Tracklist:
1. Warhead (Venom; Guest: Scott Kelly of Neurosis)
2. Best Friend (Queen; Guest: Caleb Benjamin of Tweak Bird)
3. Black Betty (Original artist unknown)
4. Set It On Fire (The Scientists; Guest: Mark Arm)
5. Station To Station (David Bowie; Guest: JG Thirlwell)
6. Attitude (The Kinks: Guest: Clem Burke of Blondie)
7. Female Trouble (Divine a.k.a. John Waters)
8. Carpe Diem (The Fugs)
9. Timothy Leary Lives (Pop-O-Pies)
10. In Every Dream Home A Heartache (Roxy Music; Guests: Jello Biafra and Kevin Rutmanis)
11. Romance (Tales of Terror)
12. Art School (The Jam; Guest: Tom Hazelmeyer)
13. Heathen Earth (Throbbing Gristle)