Here’s What is Being Done to Louise Ave in Sioux Falls
Sioux Falls' road construction season 2017 has kicked off with a huge project to update South Louise Avenue.
This is one of the busiest stretches of road in the state with 26,000 vehicles traveling on it everyday. The road work will disrupt things in the Empire Mall area for a while. When it's done thought, it should be better able to handle Sioux Falls' growing traffic.
"It will be worth it in the long run, and we thank you in advance for your patience,” says Mark Cotter, Director of Public Works.
Work started this week (March 13, 2017) and will continue until the fall. South Louise Avenue will be reconstructed from West 41st Street to West 49th Street, including the intersection of 49th Street and Louise Avenue.
Here's what will be done:
- Underground utility replacement
- Widening Louise Avenue to six lanes
- Adding a center median to Louise Avenue with with left-turn lanes
- Widening the 49th Street intersection to include dual left turn lanes on 49th Street
- New LED streetlights
- Adaptive traffic signals to help with traffic flow
The City of Sioux Falls says that traffic will be maintained through Louise Avenue, but delays should be expected. Lane closures will begin on Monday, March 20. The City adds that access to businesses will be maintained at all times
Source: City of Sioux Falls