Flu Fighting Superfoods For You and Your Valentine
So many people in our circle of friends are battling the flu. Every year my doctor recommends that I get the shot and every year I say, “yup, probably should”, but so far I have only gotten it once. I am so needle phobic that I even avoid having blood drawn regularly, which I am supposed to do for cholesterol level checks. (That will be another subject Dr. Geise and I will have a “conversation” about, I’m sure!)
In an effort to prevent the spread of a major health nemesis, right before Valentine’s Day, I’ve been perusing all kinds of material on natural immunity boosters. Here is a list of superfoods that could start upgrading your health defenses in as little as two days. So stock up!
- Red wine- Yale researchers found that women who drank 4 to 8 ounces of red wine daily were 30% less likely to catch the flu. As an Italian I find it hard to stop at one glass, but that is what they recommend. Apparently your percentage doesn’t increase if you double your intake. Marone a mi!
- Dark chocolate- Okay, so I just through this in! It’s not really an immunity booster, but it is good for your heart and in turn, your overall health and it’s Valentine’s week. So cut me some slack!
- Garlic- Again, as an Italian, I have no problem consuming mass quantities of this flower of the culinary world. However research indicates that ingesting as little as one tiny clove a day can up your flu-fighting ability in as little as 48 hours. They recommend you chop it up and let it sit on the cutting board for 10 minutes. Oxygen apparently converts the sulfur compounds into a potent infection-fighting machine.
- Seafood- two six ounce servings of this wonderfood packed with zinc and selenium can cut the lifespan of a virus by 42% according to European research. So pick yer fish and dive in!
- Greek yogurt- You might have heard that the Russian government was briefly blocking a shipment of Chobani Greek yogurt to the U.S. Olympic team. I’m not saying that they were trying to sabotage the health of our athletes, but. . .one cup of Greek yogurt daily can cut your risk of illness by 58%! Nyet Vladimir!!
Check out a longer list of immunity boosters here and keep washing your hands for crying out loud!