Best Tricks for Waking Up Without Caffeine
There was an interesting question in the AskReddit section of Reddit yesterday. What's your best trick for waking up that doesn't involve caffeine? Here are some of the best answers.
1. Immediately drink a glass of water.
2. Put your feet on the ground as soon as you hear the alarm.
3. Immediately get into the shower especially a cold shower.
4. Put the alarm clock on the other side of the room, so you have to get up to turn it off.
5. Don't do anything else in bed other than sleep or have sex. If you get used to eating, watching TV, or reading in bed, your brain associates your bed with something other than sleep. And that'll make it harder to get up in the morning.
6. Plan your breakfast the night before and make sure it's something you like. When you wake up, you'll be hungry and happy about eating.
7. Eat an apple. It can work better than caffeine. We're not sure why, but trust us try it and you'll see.
8. Do four or five minutes of basic exercise like stretching and jumping.
9. Change the song or sound from your alarm clock regularly so you never get used to it.
As someone who has been waking up really early without always getting a full night's sleep every night, I do a few of these. My alarm clock is across the room. I have exercised before work in the past. But the most important thing is to eat something. If I don't eat something I will be a zombie until I do.
My favorite fast breakfast is a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. It takes one minute to make and I read once that something high in protein, like a big glob of peanut butter, will stick in your stomach and fill you up.
I have a fortunate curse that also helps. I have A.D.D. so I have a prescription for Adderall. A small dose of amphetamines beats a pot of coffee every time.
What do you use to wake up in the morning without caffeine?